Lesson seven, total of 12 hours driving.
- went to fourth gear quite smoothly
- highest speed of 55mph, so I’m getting more confident with speed
- did parallel parking completely unassisted – yay!
- bay parking has definitely improved, the car was actually inside the bay, I just needed to turn a little later
- can understand road signs better
- crossed narrow bridges safely
- used the handbrake more often
- moved from the most right lane to the most left lane safely when exiting a large roundabout – that was very scary
- managed to change gears whilst turning in a roundabout
- merged from a slip road onto a dual carriageway pretty smoothly, Sunday mornings are indeed quiet mornings
- bumped the kerb and did not observe very well when doing turn in the road
- rustled up some leaves as I reversed a bit too far when bay parking
- stalled as I came to a stop to allow an approaching car to pass, forgot to put the clutch down
- almost too confident when joining a roundabout, the instructor put the handbrake on when I was about to accelerate
- my supposed 10 minutes of unassisted driving only lasted one minute! I was in the wrong lane before joining a roundabout so the instructor had to break silence
- instructor grabbed the wheel a couple of times to ensure I did not crash into parked cars
Note to self:
- when stopped at traffic lights change to first gear before using handbrake, the lights can sometimes change rather fast
- brake faster or firmer when travelling at higher speed
- brake earlier behind a car so I can see the car’s tyres and tarmac
- brake later when at a stop light so car behind is not too close
- bring clutch up to ensure I do not coast along, especially when turning or slowing down
- do not stare to the right when joining roundabouts or roads
- observe more when doing manoeuvres
- prepare the car before observing
I think I am improving. I must admit I’m finding large roundabouts a bit tricky – there’s so much to take into account and do: other cars, speed, changing gears, checking mirrors, signalling, changing lanes. But I am getting there people, I am getting there.
Also, must read up on theory.